top of page

World Wise Words Group

Public·18 members
Grayson Brown
Grayson Brown

Island for Sale by Anne Collins: A Book Review with Activities and Exercises

Island for Sale by Anne Collins: A Book Review

Have you ever dreamed of living on a beautiful island, away from the noise and stress of the city? If so, you might enjoy reading Island for Sale by Anne Collins. It is a story with a happy ending, full of adventure, romance and humor. In this article, I will tell you what the book is about, who the author is, why you should read it, and what I think of it.

island for sale anne collins download

Introduction

What is the book about?

Island for Sale is a book for beginner readers who are learning English as a foreign language. It has only 300 words and 14 pages, but it tells an engaging story that will keep you interested until the end. It is part of the Penguin Readers series, which offers books at different levels of difficulty and with different topics. You can download Island for Sale for free from the Internet Archive website.

Who is the author?

Anne Collins is a British writer who has written many books for learners of English. She has also written textbooks, teacher's guides, and online courses. She has a degree in English Literature and a diploma in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. She has taught English in Spain, France, and England. She likes to write stories that are fun and easy to read.

Why should you read it?

There are many reasons why you should read Island for Sale. Here are some of them:

• It will help you improve your vocabulary, grammar, and reading skills.

• It will introduce you to some aspects of Scottish culture and history.

• It will make you laugh and smile with its witty dialogue and funny situations.

• It will inspire you to follow your dreams and find happiness in simple things.

Summary of the plot

The main character: Duncan McTavish

The protagonist of Island for Sale is Duncan McTavish, a young Scotsman who lives alone in a big castle on a small island in Scotland with his dog, Jock. He likes living there. He takes walks, swims and goes fishing in his boat. He wears traditional Scottish clothes, such as a kilt and a tartan hat. He is friendly and kind, but also naive and clumsy.

The problem: He owes money to the electricity company

Duncan's castle is very cold and dark, and it needs a lot of electricity. One day, he receives a letter from the electricity company. He owes them 5,000. He doesn't have such a lot of money. He has to sell the castle. He asks a man in London, Mr Moneybags, to find a buyer.

The solution: He tries to sell his castle on an island

Mr Moneybags finds Leaping Larry, a rock star. He has a girlfriend, Roxanne. They come and look at the castle. Roxanne doesn't like the castle, it is cold, dark and boring. When they go in Duncan's boat, she falls into the water. They don't want to buy the castle. There are no more customers. Mr Moneybags doesn't want to sell it any more. Duncan is unhappy.

The twist: He falls in love with a painter and finds a new way to make money

Then he meets Jean. She is a painter. They fall in love and get married. Jean has an idea. Tourists come and stay at the castle. In this way they earn money, they are able to keep the castle and live on the island after all.

Analysis of the themes

Where people live

One of the themes of Island for Sale is where people live. Places where there are jobs are often not beautiful and quiet. There is usually little work in beautiful places. Duncan lives on a peaceful island, but he has no income. Leaping Larry and Roxanne live in a busy city, but they have a lot of money. Jean lives in both places, because she travels as a painter. She helps Duncan find a balance between nature and civilization.

Money

Another theme of Island for Sale is money. It is often said that money cannot make one happy. Duncan needs money to pay for his electricity. If he loses his home, he will be very unhappy. Leaping Larry and Roxanne have a lot of money, but they are not happy either. They are selfish and rude. Jean has enough money to live comfortably, but she is not greedy or materialistic. She values love and creativity more than money.

Lifestyles

A third theme of Island for Sale is lifestyles. Duncan lives simply. He enjoys nature and animals. He is honest and loyal. Leaping Larry, Roxanne and Mr Moneybags live very differently. They are famous and rich, but they are also arrogant and dishonest. They don't care about other people or the environment. Jean lives creatively. She expresses herself through her paintings. She is open-minded and generous.

Scotland

A fourth theme of Island for Sale is Scotland. The country has its own money, government and traditions. It is very popular with tourists. The book shows some aspects of Scottish culture, such as the kilt, the tartan, the bagpipes, and the accent. It also shows some of the natural beauty of Scotland, such as the sea, the mountains, and the islands.

Conclusion

What did I like about the book?

I liked many things about Island for Sale. I liked the characters, especially Duncan and Jean, who are very likable and funny. I liked the plot, which is simple but engaging. I liked the style, which is clear and easy to understand. I liked the illustrations, which are colorful and cute.

What did I dislike about the book?

I disliked very few things about Island for Sale. I disliked Roxanne, who is very annoying and mean. I disliked the ending, which is too happy and unrealistic.

Who would I recommend it to?

I would recommend Island for Sale to anyone who wants to read a short and enjoyable story in English. It is suitable for beginners who want to improve their language skills and learn something about Scotland.

FAQs - Q: How can I download Island for Sale by Anne Collins? - A: You can download it for free from the Internet Archive website. - Q: How many words does Island for Sale have? - A: It has only 300 words. - Q: What level of difficulty is Island for Sale? - A: It is a level 1 book in the Penguin Readers series. - Q: What genre is Island for Sale? - A: It is a comedy romance. - Q: What other books has Anne Collins written? - A: She has written many books for learners of English, such as The Big Picture, The Troy Stone, The Fireboy, The Last Photo, The White Oryx, etc. 71b2f0854b

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

• SAL SAV
  • JoJo
    JoJo
  • Taras Haydamaka
    Taras Haydamaka
  • Rat
    Rat
  • Genevieve Cleopatra
    Genevieve Cleopatra
bottom of page